This Handbook covers relevant legislation and requirements that early learning services and kōhanga reo must follow. Our review officers use this Handbook as part of their review.
This handbook does not represent the official versions of the Acts, regulations and other requirements. We recommend referring to the full legislation and requirements when needed.
Who can use this handbook
This Handbook has sections for each type of early childhood service. Refer to the relevant section for your service.
- Index [PDF, 216 KB]
- Early Childhood Education and Care Centres [PDF, 638 KB]
- Home-based Education and Care Services [PDF, 450 KB]
- Hospital-based Education and Care Services [PDF, 458 KB]
- Te Kōhanga Reo [PDF, 612 KB]
- Education (Early Childhood Services) regulations [PDF, 410 KB]
The Acts, regulations and sources we draw this material from
This Handbook covers content from the following sources. We haven’t always included the full excerpts from the Acts and regulations.
- Education and Training Act 2020
- Education Act 1989 (Saving provisions)
- Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008
- Children’s Act 2014
- Food Act 2014
- Food Regulations 2015