This section describes our review approach, what to expect during our review, and provides further information and tools to help you prepare.
It also provides information on the key features of the approach and what will be reported on our website.
Explore this section by clicking through the navigation on the side of the page or use the quick links below to visit frequently used pages.
- Te Ara Huarau: learn about our review process that supports each school in a process of continuous improvement
Tools to support your evaluation process
- The School Improvement Framework
- The School Self Audit and Assurance Statement: checklists and statement
- The School Evaluation Indicators
- Education Now
Key features of the approach and what will be reported on our website
The shift to the new approach to evaluation, Te Ara Huarau, supports each school’s improvement over time. We have introduced a new reporting model to ensure it aligns with the key features of the new approach, [Te Ara Huarau].
Key features include ERO:
- working with all schools in an ongoing way rather than as a one-off event
- connecting with each school’s strategic planning and reporting cycle as part of their improvement journey
- working in partnership with schools, collaborating in support of equitable and excellent outcomes for all learners.
Each school will:
- have a dedicated ERO Review Officer (Evaluation Partner) who works alongside the school
- have a different experience depending on needs, strengths, and their school’s specific evaluation focus
- be on a three-year evaluation cycle.
What will reporting on ERO’s website look like?
As schools transition into the approach, ERO will work with schools to publish a one-off Profile Report. This will focus on the strategic goals schools have in place to improve learner outcomes and what the school is seeking to achieve through the evaluation.
School Evaluation Report
Within a three year cycle all schools working in Te Ara Huarau would then have a School Evaluation Report. This report will include information about the school’s improvement journey, what the school will have achieved for learners and their future priorities.
Board Assurance with Regulatory and Legislative Requirements Report
All schools will receive a Board Assurance with Regulatory and Legislative Requirements Report about their board’s attestation to meeting those requirements.
Provision for International Students and Hostel Reports
Where applicable, a Provision for International Students and Hostel Reports will be published.
These reports are not published on ERO’s website. Progress reporting will provide specific information for specific audiences such as the board, the community or the Ministry of Education.