If your school/kura has international students and is a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice, we will review this during the ERO review of your school/kura.
We review this by building on your self review of your international student programmes.
Further reading on the Code of Practice
You can read the Code on the New Zealand Qualifications website under The Education (Pastoral Care for International Students) Code of Practice 2016
The Ministry of Education also has information about the Code on their site under Exchange Programmes which meet the Code of Practice for International Students
We evaluate the overall quality of education you provide for your international students.
This includes your schools’ approach to international students, their pastoral care, and the education programme.
We consider the students’ academic progress, achievement and participation in school and community life.
We seek evidence to answer the question: How well is the school reviewing its provisions and outcomes for international students?
To do this we consider how your school/kura provides international students with high quality education that meets their pastoral, academic and social needs, including progress and achievement.
We provide you with information before your review
We make information about what we will do during the review available to the staff member responsible for your international students.
School's are provided with an information document prior to their review called International Students: Information for Schools.
What your staff member responsible will need to do
The staff member responsible will need to:
- make information about international students available to us
- provide and discuss with us your school’s annual self review of its provision and outcomes for international students
- work with our reviewer to arrange discussions with international students and the staff who work with them.
Documents we need for the review
At the time of the review, we will need to see and discuss with you:
- A list of the names of all international students enrolled in your school, their nationalities, year levels, status and types of accommodation.
- The names of the key people responsible for international students in: pastoral care; accommodation; and English language support.
- Your annual self review and compliance with the Code as outlined in clause 37 of the Code and the Code Annual Self Review Attestation.
- Any other internal review or reporting documents about provisions or outcomes for your international students, including reports to the board of trustees or school governors.
We write up our findings in a report
The outcome of your review will be included in your school's ERO report.