We are committed to honouring our obligations to the articles in Te Tiriti:
- Kawanatanga: Governance by the Crown
- Tino Rangatiratanga: Rights of Māori to have undisturbed possession of their taonga) and
- Ōritetanga: Full citzenship and rights of Māori
We are also committed to honouring the principles of the Treaty:
- Partnership: We will fulfil our Tiriti/Treaty obligations and continue to promote respectful and enduring partnerships with Māori.
- Protection: Te Ao Māori is braided into the work and ethos of our organisation. We ensure Māori perspectives and interests, and the integrity and use of te reo Māori me ngā tikanga Māori are protected and maintained.
- Participation: Our workplace is a culturally inclusive environment based on integrity and trust. We actively support Māori to participate and contribute to improving outcomes for Māori in the education system.
Our vision is grounded in our ambition for equity and excellence for Māori learners. We strive to influence and support the education system to create inclusive environments where Māori enjoy and achieve education success as Māori. We aim to support whānau, hapū and iwi in achieving their aspirations for their tamariki.
In April 2021, ERO launches its Māori strategy He Taura Here Tangata: The braided threads that bind us to guide the organisation on its journey to becoming bilingual and bicultural. The strategy focuses on growing staff capability in te reo Māori, tikanga Māori and building strong relationships with iwi Māori.