A deliberate approach engages family and whānau in learning centred relationships. This approach expands and strengthens the community of learners so that more active support and opportunities are provided for all the children.
This video illustrates
Domain 3: Educationally powerful connections and relationships
- Communication supports and strengthens reciprocal learning-centred relationships
- School and community are engaged in reciprocal, learning-centred relationships
- Community collaborations enrich opportunities for students to become confident, connected, actively involved, lifelong learners
- The school has a commitment to making learning visible for parents and whānau
- Children have the understanding, and tools such as reflection journals, to engage parents and whanau in their learning
- Student led conferences provide a context to directly engage with children’s learning
- The effective use of social media provides opportunities for parents and whānau and fosters participation across the wider school community.
Things to think about
- What communication strategies do you use to strengthen reciprocal learning centred relationships?
- How successful are they?