3 Management Assurance on Compliance Areas
Before the review, the management and staff of Home2Grow Childcare completed an ERO Home-Based Education and Care Assurance Statement and Self-Audit Checklist. In these documents they attested that they had taken all reasonable steps to meet their legal obligations related to:
- curriculum standard
- premises and facilities standard
- health and safety practices standard
- governance management and administration standard.
During the review, ERO checked the following items because they have a potentially high impact on outcomes for children:
- emotional safety (including behaviour management, prevention of bullying and abuse)
- physical safety (including behaviour management, sleeping and supervision practices; accidents and medication; hygiene and routines; travel and excursion policies and procedures)
- staff qualifications and organisation
- evacuation procedures and practices for fire and earthquake.
During the review one area of non-compliance was identified. Service leaders must:
ensure teachers are appraised annually against legislative requirements
[s 77C State Sector Act 1988; NZ Gazette and relevant Collective Employment Agreement].
In order to improve practice service leaders should increase the frequency of health and safety reviews and ensure the recommendations from reviews have been actioned.