6 September 2011
To the Parents and Community of Good Seeds
These are the findings of the Education Review Office’s latest report on Good Seeds.
The Good Seeds Children’s Centre operates under the auspices of the Good Seed Trust, which is an independent non-profit making organisation. The centre is situated in the grounds of the Shiloh Church and alongside the Quality Education Service Trust in Mangere.
The centre’s philosophy is based on Christian principles and includes Christian teaching in the learning programme, as well as the principles of Te Whāriki the Early Childhood Curriculum.
Children are enthusiastic about the learning opportunities available. Staff provide a child-focused environment where children make their own choices about play and where their preferences are respected. The centre environment encourages children to engage with and have easy access to the resources inside and outside the building.
The centre has gradually moved away from a structured programme. Children eat when they feel the need, mat times occur when the child initiates an interest in reading, and the learning programme is dependent on what the children engage in. Children play well together and are independent thinkers, They interact well with adults and enjoy their play.
The centre manager is a trust member of Good Seeds Trust. There are good systems in place to manage the centre. Staff cater well for children’s learning and care. Managers have high expectations that staff will fulfil the requirements of their vision and philosophy. Equally staff know what is required of them, and take pride in catering effectively for children’s learning and care in a way that is consistent with the centre’s values and vision.
ERO is likely to review the service again in three years.
When ERO has reviewed an early childhood centre we encourage management to inform their community of any follow up action they plan to take. You should talk to the management or contact person if you have any questions about this evaluation, the full ERO report or their future intentions.
If you would like a copy of the full report, please contact the centre or see the ERO website, http://www.ero.govt.nz.
National Manager Review Services
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT REVIEWS
ERO is an independent, external evaluation agency that undertakes reviews of schools and early childhood services throughout New Zealand.
About ERO Reviews
ERO follows a set of standard procedures to conduct reviews. The purpose of each review is to:
- improve quality of education for children in early childhood centres; and
- provide information to parents, communities and the Government.
Reviews are intended to focus on outcomes for children and build on each centre’s self review.
ERO’s framework for reviewing and reporting is based on four review strands.
- Quality of Education – including the quality of the programme provided for children, the quality of the learning environment and the quality of the interactions between staff and children and how these impact on outcomes for children.
- Additional Review Priorities – other aspects of the operation of a centre, may be included in the review. ERO will not include this strand in all reviews.
- National Evaluation Topics – This strand contributes to the development of education policies and their effective implementation. The information from this strand is aggregated by ERO for its national evaluation reports. Topics for investigation are changed regularly to provide up-to-date information.
- Compliance with Legal Requirements – assurance that this centre has taken all reasonable steps to meet legal requirements.
ERO reviews do not cover every aspect of centre performance and each ERO report may cover different issues. The aim is to provide information on aspects that are central to positive outcomes for children and useful to this centre.
Most ERO reports include recommendations for improvement. A recommendation on a particular issue does not necessarily mean that a centre is performing poorly in relation to that issue. There is no direct link between the number of recommendations in this report and the overall performance of this centre.
Individual ERO school and early childhood centre reports are public information and may be copied or sent electronically. However, the Education Review Office can guarantee only the authenticity of original documents which have been obtained in hard copy directly from either the local ERO office or ERO Corporate Office in Wellington. Please consult your telephone book, or see the ERO web page,
http://www.ero.govt.nz, for ERO office addresses.