16 November 2011
To the Parents and Community of Akoteu Tuingapapai o Uesile
These are the findings of the Education Review Office’s latest report on Akoteu Tuingapapai o Uesile.
Akoteu Tuingapapai o Uesile is a well-established early childhood service in Mangere, Auckland. The centre is an initiative of the Free Wesleyan Church of Tonga (New Zealand). A trust board is responsible for governance of the centre.
Since ERO’s review in 2006, building extensions have resulted in the division of the centre into two separate licensed areas. There are now increased roll numbers and this centre provides for two to five-year old children.
The centre’s philosophy of promoting Christian values and maintaining the Tongan language and cultural identity is clearly reflected in centre practices. Staff ensure that children are immersed in the Tongan language and daily routines are centred around Tongan cultural practices and Christian principles.
Children are happy and relaxed. They interact positively with staff and with each other. Children are familiar with routines and staff nurture their confidence to participate in the programme. Staff work closely with children and are caring and patient.
Children move freely between the indoors and outdoors and have easy access to a good range of age-appropriate resources and equipment. The outdoor area provides a range of opportunities for children to develop their physical, artistic and imaginative skills.
The service is very well led. The centre manager has established good self-review systems and strategic plans for centre development. Management systems and practices continue to be improved.
ERO is likely to review the service again in three years.
When ERO has reviewed an early childhood centre we encourage management to inform their community of any follow up action they plan to take. You should talk to the management or contact person if you have any questions about this evaluation, the full ERO report or their future intentions.
If you would like a copy of the full report, please contact the centre or see the ERO website, http://www.ero.govt.nz.
National Manager Review Services
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT REVIEWS
ERO is an independent, external evaluation agency that undertakes reviews of schools and early childhood services throughout New Zealand.
About ERO Reviews
ERO follows a set of standard procedures to conduct reviews. The purpose of each review is to:
- improve quality of education for children in early childhood centres; and
- provide information to parents, communities and the Government.
Reviews are intended to focus on outcomes for children and build on each centre’s self review.
ERO’s framework for reviewing and reporting is based on four review strands.
- Quality of Education – including the quality of the programme provided for children, the quality of the learning environment and the quality of the interactions between staff and children and how these impact on outcomes for children.
- Additional Review Priorities – other aspects of the operation of a centre, may be included in the review. ERO will not include this strand in all reviews.
- National Evaluation Topics – This strand contributes to the development of education policies and their effective implementation. The information from this strand is aggregated by ERO for its national evaluation reports. Topics for investigation are changed regularly to provide up-to-date information.
- Compliance with Legal Requirements – assurance that this centre has taken all reasonable steps to meet legal requirements.
ERO reviews do not cover every aspect of centre performance and each ERO report may cover different issues. The aim is to provide information on aspects that are central to positive outcomes for children and useful to this centre.
Most ERO reports include recommendations for improvement. A recommendation on a particular issue does not necessarily mean that a centre is performing poorly in relation to that issue. There is no direct link between the number of recommendations in this report and the overall performance of this centre.
Individual ERO school and early childhood centre reports are public information and may be copied or sent electronically. However, the Education Review Office can guarantee only the authenticity of original documents which have been obtained in hard copy directly from either the local ERO office or ERO Corporate Office in Wellington. Please consult your telephone book, or see the ERO web page,
http://www.ero.govt.nz, for ERO office addresses.